Tuesday, March 8, 2011

TED Tuesday: Courtney Martin's "Reinventing Feminism"

Sometimes I am completely flabbergasted by how often I have to defend my use of the word Feminism or the fact that I label myself a Feminist.

I truly believe that to champion for women's rights is to champion for human rights. While the discrepancy is magnified in other areas of the world, there are still major issues that need to be addressed right here in our home. Domestic violence, rape, and controlling a woman's right to choose - all of these are worldwide issues that also definitely plague us here in North America. Did you know that over half of all Canadian women have experienced domestic violence? Look around at the women in your life. Are you aware that one to two women are murdered by a current or former partner each week in Canada? Chances are there is a woman in your life who is experiencing violence at the hand of her partner every day.

In honour of the 100th anniversary of International Women's Day I am posting this magnificent TED talk by Feministing Editor and author of the book "Do It Anyway: The New Generation of Activists" Courtney Martin. She discusses the modern era of feminism - How it isn't about birkenstocks and man-hating (I don't believe it ever was....) and reinventing the word so more people understand that it is about lifting women up, reinforcing their human rights, and helping them have a positive impact on the world around them.

My favourite part of this TED video? When Ms Martin announces the activist who had the largest impact on her own worldview: Her mother. It inspires me as a mother to keep campaigning for what I believe in, that I can have a positive impact on the world in which my children will live and grow.

Courtney Martin: Reinventing feminism




I've said it before and I'll say it again. As women, we are beautiful flowers - we can also be sparks of change. Have a lovely International Women's Day.

For more facts or information on violence and Canadian women, or to help with the cause, please visit the Canadian Women Foundation

More TED videos on the topic of women's rights & feminism.

xox
Farren

1 comment:

  1. Domestic violence is a plague all over the world . Its an epidemic which needs to get cured from it's roots. Great to know your a feminist , it takes pounds of courage to voice for justice.
    Woman's World
    Do you know about your status in this world?
    http://www.3smartcubes.com/pages/tests/womansworld/womansworld_instructions.asp

    ReplyDelete