Tuesday, June 29, 2010

TED Tuesday - A Case for Skepticism

Can I admit that I swing back and forth between skepticism and blind faith? I know, I know... if Carl Sagan were alive today, he'd probably have something to say about it. So does my handsome mandude, and on a regular basis, too, whenever I toss salt over my shoulder, hesitate before opening an umbrella indoors, or (yes! I admit it!) talk to him about my favourite rocks and crystals. Placebo effect or not, I love my quartz.

Using video and music, skeptic Michael Shermer explains why people see the Virgin Mary on a cheese sandwich or hear demonic lyrics in "Stairway to Heaven" and shows how we convince ourselves to believe -- and overlook the facts.












Though I can identify with what Mr. Shermer says - all of it rings true - I still get creeped out when using the Ouija Board. Whether you are a skeptic or not, anybody with style and smarts will appreciate any of the following completely awesome pieces:



An Altered Antique Plate by BeatUpCreations on Etsy









 A seriously rock n' roll  Led Zeppelin Album Cover Bag by Aproduction Ink on Etsy








A ridiculously awesome, ridiculously tiny book of Carl Sagan quotes by IDoubtIt on Etsy






Enjoy your new found truth!
xox
Farren Square

No comments:

Post a Comment